Here is a bootleg recording of the Curtis Nowosad Quintet from our performance at the 2013 TD Winnipeg International Jazz Festival, featuring my tune, “A Casual Test.” I hope you enjoy it!
Here is a link to the second article I’ve had published in Drums Etc. Magazine, called “Getting Ready: A Guide to Prepare for College Auditions.”
The Farewell 274 compilation album is now available to stream for a limited time only on SoundCloud, and it is available for pre-order on BandCamp (you can order the Skeptic & the Cynic there too!). The album is being released one week from today, on TUESDAY, JULY 16th, at the CCFM (340 Provencher Blvd.) in Winnipeg, at 8pm. Tickets are $10 and they are available at Music Trader (97 Osborne St.), Into the Music (245 McDermot Ave.), or by emailing Know.a.sad.Music@gmail.com. If you pre-ordered a CD, I have likely already gotten in touch with you, and if you pre-ordered a download, I’ll be in touch later today. Anyway, check out the music below!
First track from “Farewell 274: Winnipeg’s Jazz Community Celebrates Aqua Books” now up on SoundCloud!
Here is the first track released from the live compilation album “Farewell 274: Winnipeg’s Jazz Community Celebrates Aqua Books,” to be released on Tuesday, July 16th, 2013 at the Centre-Culturel Franco-Manitobain. Tickets are $10 and available at Into the Music, Music Trader & by email at Know.a.sad.Music@gmail.com.
Sheena Rattai – vocals
Aaron Shorr – guitar
Will Bonness – piano
Karl Kohut – bass
Curtis Nowosad – drums
Produced by Curtis Nowosad.
Engineered, mixed & mastered by Paul Yee [Sublime Sonic Moment].
Spread the word and let me know what you think!
On Thursday, I won the RBC On the Rise Award from Winnipeg Arts Council and Royal Bank of Canada, at the Mayor’s Luncheon for the Arts. I am very humbled to receive an honour of this kind from my home community, before I make the move to New York in the fall. Winnipeg truly does take care its own. Here is an article about the event from the Winnipeg Free Press, and a photo of me with the award.
Know-a-sad Music Announces the Live Compilation Album “Farewell 274: Winnipeg’s Jazz Community Celebrates Aqua Books”
Know-a-sad Music Announces the Live Compilation Album Farewell 274: Winnipeg’s Jazz Community Celebrates Aqua Books
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Winnipeg, MB, Canada – Know-a-sad Music is thrilled to announce the release of a live compilation album featuring many of Winnipeg’s finest jazz musicians, Farewell 274: Winnipeg’s Jazz Community Celebrates Aqua Books, with a special album release party at the Centre Culturel Franco-Manitobain on Tuesday, July 16th, 2013.
Farewell 274, recorded live at Aqua Books in the spring of 2012, was conceived as a way to celebrate the closing venue by showcasing many of the great artists that performed there frequently. Made up of entirely original music, the collection contains both vocal and instrumental music, and a variety of moods, ranging from straight-ahead to contemporary jazz to R&B. The musicians also span generations, from internationally-renowned veterans such as Steve Kirby, Quincy Davis, and Laurent Roy, to up-and-comers such as Sheena Rattai, Sol James, and Curtis Nowosad, who produced the album.
The album release party will be held in Salle Antoine-Gaborieau at the Centre Culturel Franco-Manitobain (340 Provencher Blvd) on Tuesday, July 16th, at 8pm, with performances by Nowosad, Rattai, Amber Epp, Sol James, Rayannah Kroeker, Steve Kirby, Will Bonness, Luke Sellick, and many other special guests. Tickets are $10 and will soon be going on sale at Music Trader (97 Osborne St) and Into the Music (245 McDermot Ave), and will also be available by emailing Know.a.sad.Music@gmail.com.
Know-a-sad Music is a record label and publishing company operated by Winnipeg-based drummer Curtis Nowosad. For more information, visit CurtisNowosad.com, follow him on Twitter (Twitter.com/CurtisNowosad), ‘Like’ him on Facebook (Facebook.com/KnowasadMusic), listen to his sounds on SoundCloud (SoundCloud.com/Curtis-Nowosad), watch his videos on YouTube (YouTube.com/CNowosad), or purchase his music on BandCamp (CurtisNowosad.BandCamp.com).
For further information or to request a preview for airplay:
- Thursday, June 13th, 7pm - SIMON CHRISTIE QUINTET at Old Market Square (King & Bannatyne), featuring Simon Christie on trumpet, Niall-Bakkestad-Legare on tenor and alto saxophone, Aaron Shorr on guitar, and Karl Kohut on bass. Free. http://simonchristiemusic.com/
- Friday, June 14th, 7:20pm - MARCO CASTILLO & BRAZILIAN BEATS at Old Market Square, featuring Marco Castillo on guitar and vocals, Sheila Castillo on percussion and vocals, Scott Senior on percussion, Mike Manny on keyboards, Jeff Presslaff on trombone, Phil Collins on trumpet, Neil Watson on alto saxophone, and Gilles Fournier on bass. http://www.marcocastillo.ca/
- Sunday, June 16th, 4:25pm - AARON SHORR ORGAN TRIO at Old Market Square, featuring Aaron Shorr on guitar and Will Bonness on Hammond B3 Organ. Free.https://soundcloud.com/aaron-shorr-1
- Sunday June 16th, 5:50pm - SOULSTATION at Old Market Square, featuring Joanna Majoko on vocals, Jocelyn Goertzen on guitar, Karl Kohut on bass, and Will Bonness on keyboards. Free. http://youtu.be/dfoZb7CAiEc
- Monday, June 17th, noon - STEVE KIRBY at Old Market Square. Free.
- Thursday, June 20th, 8pm - CURTIS NOWOSAD QUINTET at Cinematheque (100 Arthur St.), featuring Derrick Gardner on trumpet, Will Bonness on piano, Karl Kohut on bass, and Niall Bakkestad-Legare on tenor saxophone. We’ll be playing some music from my album, The Skeptic & the Cynic, as well as several brand-new compositions. Tickets are $15 in advance.http://www.curtisnowosad.com
- Saturday, June 22nd, 7pm - DEVON GILLINGHAM at Old Market Square, featuring Devon Gillingham on bass, Andrew Littleford on trumpet, Aaron Shorr on guitar, Will Bonness on piano, and Niall Bakkestad-Legare on tenor saxophone. Free. https://soundcloud.com/devon-gillingham
- Saturday, June 22nd, 10pm - ALFA, opening for DJ ?UESTLOVE at the Pyramid Cabaret (176 Fort St.). Alfa features Ismaila Alfa on vocals, Michael P Falk on guitar, and Julian Bradford on bass. Tickets are $25 in advance.
- Sunday, June 23rd, 7:30pm - WALLE LARSSON, opening for NEA Jazz Master GEORGE BENSON at the Burton Cummings Theatre (364 Smith St.), featuring Walle Larsson on saxophones, Julian Bradford on bass, Jordan Jackiew on keyboards, and Aaron Shorr on guitar. Tickets are $45/$55/$65. http://www.wallelarsson.com/
Chris Smith wrote a nice article about me and my impending move to New York in Monday’s Winnipeg Free Press, you can read it here.
Here are some videos from the 2012 Winnipeg DrumTalk Festival, held at the CCFM in Winnipeg in November, and organized by Dave and Brenda Schneider from the Music Cellar. The first one features me, the second one features my good friend Steve Broadhurst (Doc Walker), and the third one is a behind the scenes look at the festival. Enjoy!